Tuesday, September 09, 2014

Training Sessions

     When my first horse came home to the stable, my sister backed her off the trailer and handed me the reins. I stood there, reins in hand, for a few seconds and asked, "What do I do now?"
      My sister replied, "Whatever you want."
      Twelve years later I have learned to never take the reins of the horse until I have planned what to do with them. It's good to have a plan A and a plan B.
     If training is the goal, have a lesson plan. What is the goal of the session? What tack or training tools will you need? Is your lesson area prepared? Is your horse ready?
     It's also good idea to make your lesson plan flexible. I always include more exercises than I intend to cover in case she zooms past them. I also include exercises she is good at in case we have difficulty with a new exercise we can go back to a successful place.
      If you follow the Fundamentals, which I highly recommend, Here are some tips from Clinton Anderson. Training Tips: Approach Training Sessions Smartly 

  1. Begin and End each session with Desensitizing 
  2. If he is fresh coming out to play, start with roundpenning or lungeing to gain his respect. 
  3. Desensitize between sensitizing exercises.
     Today, we had a great session with momma and baby. My plan was to run Lady through more of
the Fundamentals. Conveniently, Clinton Anderson has made lesson planning easy. With Lady, I just work through each exercise in the order that Clinton has laid out. I use review exercises to warm up, teach her a few new ones each day, and repeat successful exercises if things aren't going well. Baby Dazz is getting desensitized to halter pressure and learning to move off my cues. 
     Lady's lessons went well. Refined our Yielding the Forequarters and Lungeing for Respect. Baby Dazz seemed to accept momma working outside her pen much better than previous. She is accepting the halter and moving off pressure. Lady started trying to cut us off and herd baby away from me. I didn't anticipate that because she has in past not been concerned.  
    After our lesson, I made some notes and planned some revisions. Tomorrow I am definitely going to work with Baby Dazz while momma is outside the pen.  It will be nice to have baby all to myself for a change. 


Train up a child in the way he should go [and in keeping with his individual gift or bent], and when he is old he will not depart from it.

No comments: